French lawyer to defend Saddam Hussein
A French lawyer, known for defending "terrorists" and a Nazi leader, said Saturday he will defend ousted leader Saddam Hussein.
Jacques Verges told France-Inter radio he had received a letter from Saddam's family requesting him to defend the former Iraqi leader in court.
US officials have said they will bring Saddam to trial for alleged "crimes" against Iraqi people. However, the location of any trial and its format and date have not yet been decided.
The letter from Saddam's family read, "In my capacity as nephew of President Saddam Hussein, I commission you officially by this letter to assure the defense of my uncle," Verges said. He did not name the person who sent the letter. (Albawaba.com)
© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- French, U.S. lawyers offer to defend Saddam in trial as daughter says family seeks fair and legal trial
- Head of Saddam Hussein's defense team: Iran offered $100m to fabricate charges against PMOI
- French lawyer to defend former Iraqi minister Aziz
- Another Saddam defense lawyer murdered in Baghdad
- Saddam chief lawyer leaves courtroom