G8 Countries to Hold Meeting in Damascus Tuesday
Damascus – Albawaba.com
Foreign ministers of the G8 countries will hold Tuesday a meeting in Damascus on the sidewalks of president Hafez Assad’s funeral, according to diplomatic sources at the Japanese Embassy in Damascus.
The sources told Albawaba.com that the ministers of Canada, Italy, France, England, USA, Japan, Spain and Russia will discuss at the meeting the current state of international economy and other issues of concern to the group.
Observers saw the planned meeting as an indicator of diplomatic support for Syria.
The sources said the meeting came through an initiative by France.
French president Jacque Chirac is the only western president to attend Assad’s funeral.
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- US Dollar Holds on to European Session Gains as Consumer Confidence Improves, Ahead of G8 Meeting
- G8 seek Syria consensus amid rumors of deadlock
- G8 leaders unite over future of Iraq, call to include Syria, Lebanon in peace efforts
- Saudi Crown Prince to attend G8 summit
- Assad's State Funeral Begins in Damascus