GAM Implements Al Wihdat Parallel Market
Greater Amman Municipality (GAM) completed recently the works of Al-Wihdat market project on Al Yarmouk Street with a cost amounting to JD 100,000.
The market was built on paved space area of 1800 m2, as declared by Director of Supervision and Projects, Mohammed Kharabsheh. The space area includes metal sunshades with bars covered with fabric on 1100 m2 and 71 spots for street vendors, each reaches to 9 m2 of space area.
Kharabsheh added that the market is surrounded from three sides with metal fence of galvanized bars and a 2 meter barrier; the forth side is 1.5 m retaining wall to recover the difference in levels.
During the project designing process in August, GAM took into consideration providing the market with all necessary services, such as a management office, separate W.C for men, women, and citizens with special needs.
GAM's aim from implementing such public markets is to provide typical and suitable places for sale and purchase purposes, and to resolve problems of the street vendors by allocating special areas for them.
There are about 5 public markets in Amman that operate daily, and the new parallel markets are 7, opening once a week and during the month of Ramadan.
- GAM Resumes Implementing the Handicrafts Market and Completes 40% of the 2nd Phase
- GAM Completes Um Nowarah Park and Commences the Construction of a New Cell in AL Ghabawi Dumpsite
- Greater Amman Municipality Proceeds with Development Project of Na'our
- GAM Resumes Pavement Works Using Basalt during Night Hours and Completed 120.000 m2
- Greater Amman Municipality Continues Rehabilitation of Al-Bukhariya, Balabsa and Philadelphia Souks