Israel's UN ambassador denies Israeli soldier was kidnapped, IDF unsure
The Hamas military wing announced that it had kidnapped an Israeli soldier, sparking celebrations across Gaza.
The main focus of the fighting remains the Shejaia district east of Gaza City.
On Sunday 72 Palestinians lost their lives in fierce shelling while 13 Israeli troops were also killed, in the bloodiest day of the recent upturn in hostilities between both sides.
As many as 25 members of one family were killed close to Gaza’s Rafah border crossing with Egypt, while ten others died in nearby Khan Younis.
Latest estimates put the number of Palestinian dead at close to 500, mostly civilians.
Israeli forces say they killed 10 Hamas fighters as they entered Israel through two tunnels.
- Doctors in Gaza forced to use vegetable fridges to store bodies as Hamas denies killing kidnapped soldier
- Israel admits soldier is missing
- Hamas: Israel raid complicates efforts to resolve soldier crisis
- Mubarak: Israel yet to accept Hamas conditions for soldier release
- Hamas claims to have captured an Israeli soldier in Gaza