Israel's UN ambassador denies Israeli soldier was kidnapped, IDF unsure
Palestinians celebrate in Ramallah on July 21 after Hamas announced it had kidnapped an Israeli soldier (Abbas Momani/ AFP).
The Hamas military wing announced that it had kidnapped an Israeli soldier, sparking celebrations across Gaza.
The main focus of the fighting remains the Shejaia district east of Gaza City.
On Sunday 72 Palestinians lost their lives in fierce shelling while 13 Israeli troops were also killed, in the bloodiest day of the recent upturn in hostilities between both sides.
As many as 25 members of one family were killed close to Gaza’s Rafah border crossing with Egypt, while ten others died in nearby Khan Younis.
Latest estimates put the number of Palestinian dead at close to 500, mostly civilians.
Israeli forces say they killed 10 Hamas fighters as they entered Israel through two tunnels.
- Egypt Denies Threatening to Oust Israeli Ambassador
- UN to Give Israel, Lebanon Video Filmed After Abduction of Israeli Soldiers
- Israeli ambassador to US: IDF deserves Nobel Peace Prize
- Lebanon, Hizbollah Slam UN Idea to Show Israeli Kidnapping Video
- Israeli UN Ambassador: Captured Soldiers ‘Assumed’ Alive