Gaza Strip: Three Israeli soldiers, three Palestinian fighters killed during attack on occupation outpost
Three Palestinian fighters Thursday morning infiltrated an Israeli military outpost near the southern Gaza Strip settlement of Morag. One Israeli officer and two soldiers were killed and at least one other was wounded during the shootout with the Palestinians. Israel Radio said two Palestinians were also shot dead.
Three Israeli military helicopters landed in the settlement to evacuate the wounded, witnesses said.
Israel's Army Radio later said soldiers had suspected that there was a third attacker, hiding in the greenhouses of the settlement. During searches about four hours after the infiltration to the outpost, the Israeli forces clashed with the Palestinian fighter. According to Israeli reports, he was shot dead. In addition, an Israeli journalist was wounded in the leg during the second exchange of fire.
A caller to The Associated Press in Gaza City said the operation was a joint effort of the Islamic Jihad, the Popular Resistance Committee - an umbrella group of Palestinian factions - and the Ahmed Abu El-Rish Brigades, a group linked to Fatah.
Earlier, an Israeli helicopter fired a missile into the Khan Yunis refugee camp in the southern Gaza Strip, wounding 12 Palestinians, witnesses and hospital officials said.
This came during an Israeli raid on the camp. Tanks and troops moved into the camp, and bulldozers destroyed three houses. (albawaba.com)
© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Gaza Strip: Three Palestinian fighters shot dead during attempt to attack settlement
- Three Palestinian fighters shot dead in Gaza Strip as Israeli forces raid Nablus
- Six Palestinians, Israeli soldier killed in Gaza Strip, Hebron
- Gaza Strip: Four Palestinians killed, scores wounded as buildings destroyed
- Gaza Strip: Six Palestinians killed, Israeli officer wounded in series of clashes