Gaza truce pushes into second day amid Cairo talks
The ceasefire, which came into effect on August 5, has brought relief to both sides after one month of fighting killed 1,875 Palestinians and 67 people on the Israeli side. [AFP]
The ceasefire, which came into effect on Tuesday, has brought relief after a month of heavy Israeli bombardment of the densely-populated Gaza Strip. The Israeli strikes have killed nearly 1,880 people and injured over 9,500 others.
Meanwhile, Senior Hamas leader, Ismail Haniyeh, says the month-long resistance against the massive Israeli onslaught has so far brought victory to the Palestinian resistance forces.
Haniyeh further stated on Tuesday that he fully backs the Palestinian delegation in Cairo.
The Hamas official also emphasized that Palestinians demand an end to the seven-year Israeli blockade of Gaza as a pre-requisite for a permanent truce.
Israeli representatives are also in Egypt for the ceasefire negotiations.
The talks will be held indirectly with Egyptian officials serving as intermediaries.
The development comes as Palestinian Foreign Minister Riyad al-Maliki said he expects the ceasefire to expand into another 72 hours and possibly beyond.
- Arafat to Meet Mubarak, amid Expectations Israel Will Scrap Truce
- Palestinian talks start in Cairo amid Israeli threats to strike Gaza strip
- Fatah, Hamas to meet ahead of indirect talks with Israel
- Israel, not Palestine, pulled out of Cairo talks
- Overnight Israeli air strikes kill three in Gaza, death toll hits 1,916