German leader visits UAE, calls for political strategy on Iraq
Iraq needs a political strategy rather than just military action to allow people to regain control over their own country, German Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder said in an interview published on Monday.
"The task of the international community lies above all in providing Iraq with a perspective for the stabilisation and democratisation of the country," Schroeder said in an interview with Gulf News.
Calling for the UN role in Iraq to be strengthened, Schroeder said, "Iraq needs a real prospect of regaining its sovereignty and having political responsibility transferred to a legitimate Iraqi authority.
"We believe that security in Iraq cannot be restored through military action and the increasing number of soldiers alone.
"Rather a political strategy is required which will allow the peple of Iraq to look forward to taking their fate into their own hands once again."
The German leader was due to visit the United Arab Emirates on Monday after visiting the Saudi Kingdom. (Albawaba.com)
- German Chancellor Urges Iraq to Allow UN Inspectors Back
- Schroeder calls Saddam ''dictator'' but defends peaceful solution for Iraq crisis
- German Chancellor to visit Gulf countries
- Schroeder: Germany willing to aid US in Iraq
- Germany to grant U.S. military forces overflight and transit rights in event of war in Iraq