Graffiti in Tense West Bank Town Calls Mohammed a Pig and a Sodomite
Graffiti deriding the Muslim prophet Mohammed as a sodomite and pig has been splashed on buildings near a mosque in the flashpoint West Bank town of Hebron, an AFP correspondent said Thursday.
"Mohammed is a sodomite and a pig," were the words daubed in black in Hebrew with a Star of David on the door of a shop and the wall at the entry to a mosque in the Hebron's vegetable market near a Jewish settlement.
In 1997, a Jewish ultra-nationalist distributed leaflets in the divided city portraying Mohammed as a pig, an animal considered unclean by both Jews and Muslims, sparked days of rioting in Hebron and outrage throughout the Muslim world.
Tatiana Susskin, a follower of the outlawed anti-Arab group Kach, was jailed for two years in January 1988 after taking posters she had drawn showing Mohammed as a pig stomping on the Koran to Hebron, a tense city where 400 zealous Jewish settlers live in armed enclaves amid 120,000 Palestinians.
Israel withdrew from most of Hebron in January 1997 but remains in control of a settler enclave in the city center which includes a site sacred to Jews and Muslims, the Tomb of the Patriarchs or Ibrahimi mosque -- HEBRON (AFP)
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Palestinians, Settler Arrested after Clashes in Hebron
- Palestinian Women Mourn Slain Worshippers on Anniversary of Hebron Massacre
- Israeli Soldiers Evacuate Jewish Settlers from Illegal Outpost in Hebron
- Palestinians: Convoy of UN Rights Chief Shot at in Hebron
- Israel Tells Palestinian Television Stations in Hebron to Evacuate