Growing calls to expel the Israeli envoy from Cairo
Dr. Adel Adawi, the health minister assistant for medical treatment, said 55 people were injured during the demonstrations near the Israeli embassy yesterday. A total of 14 people are still hospitalized.
Meanwhile, hundreds of demonstrators representing various political groups have announced their bid to hold an open-ended sit in in front of the Israeli embassy until the expulsion of the Israeli ambassador from Cairo. The demonstrations began two days after dozens of activists condemned the killing of 6 Egyptian soldiers on the Sinai border, demanding the expulsion of the Israeli ambassador. Today, some 5000 Egyptians participated in the protest against the Israeli presence in Egypt. One of the demonstrators also took down the Israeli flag and hoisted the Egyptian one.
While reports said Egypt and Israel are working to reduce tensions, the Egyptian government said in a statement Sunday that Tel Aviv's apology was "not enough." According to Egypt, the Israeli statement was positive, but will calms the Egyptian street.
- Egypt recalling ambassador from Tel Aviv
- Some 50 wounded during demonstrations against Israel in Egypt and Jordan
- Thousands protest against the Israeli attacks on Gaza
- Egypt Suspends All Contacts With Israel Except ''Diplomatic''
- Egypt Not To Nominate Soon New Ambassador to Tel Aviv; Mubarak Receives Accreditation of Israeli Envoy