Hamas member killed in Nablus, 16 Palestinians arrested
Israeli troops killed a senior Hamas operative in the northern West Bank city of Nablus early Wednesday, Palestinian and Israeli sources said.
Palestinian sources said Ibrahim Abu Hawash was killed during an Israeli raid on his hideout in Nablus. They said he was a member of Hamas' military wing who had been wanted by Israel.
An Israeli military official said Abu Hawash was killed in an exchange of fire when he and another Hamas member opened fire on soldiers patrolling a residential area of Nablus.
Palestinian residents said six Palestinians, several of them members of Hamas, were arrested during a sweep of the area.
The Israeli army said its forces arrested 16 Palestinians overnight in various operations in the West Bank.
Meanwhile, during a Christmas Mass in Bethlehem, the highest-ranking Catholic in Palestine called for an end to Mideast violence and Israeli steps to ease tensions.
Latin Patriarch Michel Sabbah said in his sermon Israel is the side that must take steps to end the Mideast conflict. "It is in your hands and your hearts the ability to stop everything in the form of violence and terror," he said.
He called on Israelis to "find leaders with a vision of peace or help your leadership to find new heads capable of bringing peace. They will bring for you the security you need and for the Palestinians the rights and freedoms and security they need." (Albawaba.com)
© 2002 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Palestinian Source: Five Hamas Members Killed During New Israeli Raid in Nablus; Israel Starts to Withdraw From Tulkarem
- Palestinians injured in Nablus, Hamas member home destroyed; Leader in Islamic Jihad arrested
- Hamas Member Killed by Israeli Fire in Bethlehem Area
- 16 year old Palestinian killed and five arrested by Israeli troops
- Hamas members arrested in West Bank