Hamas mulls five-year ceasefire with Israel
Hamas leader Khaled Meshaal reportedly held talks in Doha on a proposed ceasefire with Israel. (AFP/File)
Click here to add Abu Marzuk as an alert
Disable alert for Abu Marzuk,
Click here to add Doha as an alert
Disable alert for Doha,
Click here to add Gaza as an alert
Disable alert for Gaza,
Click here to add Hamas as an alert
Disable alert for Hamas,
Click here to add Khaled Meshaal as an alert
Disable alert for Khaled Meshaal,
Click here to add Nickolay Mladenov as an alert
Disable alert for Nickolay Mladenov,
Click here to add United Nations as an alert
Disable alert for United Nations
Hamas is considering a Qatar-backed proposal to hold a ceasefire with Israel for five years, Palestinian Arab news sources report Tuesday.
Reportedly, the organization's senior official Moussa Abu Marzuk, who left from Gaza last week less than two weeks after his arrival, visited Qatar on Saturday and held meetings on the subject in which he said Hamas was inclined to accept the offer.
This is partly due to the split between Hamas and the Palestinian Authority (PA) as well as Salafists' attempts to provoke an all-out war - and to the expectation of Israel acquiescing, an Egyptian official told Maan news.
Marzuk held the meetings in Doha with Khaled Meshaal, and in partial cooperation with Bulgarian Foreign Minister Nickolay Mladenov, who is serving as a top envoy in the Middle East for the United Nations (UN).
- Palestinian groups mull Egyptian ‘truce’ proposal; Israel opposes temporary cease-fire accord
- AT and T mulls split into four parts
- Gaza: Israel continues air strikes and mulls ground invasion
- Israeli Troops Withdraw From Ramallah; Hamas Mulls Cessation of Suicide Attacks
- Representatives of Palestinian factions say they reject Egyptian proposal for unconditional cease-fire