Hamas shuts Al Arabiya and Maan Gaza Strip offices
For Illustrative Purposes. Hamas Graffiti. (Photo: Soman)
The offices of Al Arabiya TV and Palestinian news agency Maan in the Gaza Strip have been temporarily shut down by Hamas, the AFP has reported.
“The Attorney General decided to close down Al Arabiya and Maan offices in Gaza for distributing false news regarding the smear campaign against Hamas and Gaza about what’s happening in Egypt,” a Hamas official was quoted by AFP as saying.
A Maan employee and Hamas official told AFP that the Palestinian news agency's office was being
closed for investigating alleged Hamas ties with Egypt's Muslims Brotherhood.
On Thursday former Egyptian President Morsi was accused of having worked closely with Hamas during his Presidency.
Al Arabiya news organization chose not to reveal why its offices have been shut.
"“We received the closure notice and an official statement from Al Arabiya will be published to respond to this decision,” its Gaza correspondent, Islam Abd Al Kareem, told the AFP.
- Gaza Strip: Holiday site, Al-Arabiya TV studios bombed
- Jordan shuts down Muslim Brotherhood offices, due to close more
- Israeli air force strike Gaza in response to rocket attacks
- Palestinian Authority Closes Hamas Offices in the Gaza Strip; Katsav Cuts Visit to Sakhnin
- Egypt shuts down 50 NGO’s for alleged ties to Muslim Brotherhood