Heavy clashes between army, rebels in northern Yemen
The Yemeni army attacked Shiite rebels near the Saudi border, using artillery and aircraft, local officials said Wednesday. The government offensive, which started late Tuesday, followed reports of Shiite gunmen seizing more control of the northern Saada province. A major security committee, presided over by President Ali Abdullah Saleh, vowed to respond to the latest developments "with an iron-fist."
The state-run 26sep.net reported on Wednesday the "Houthi rebels" have seized teachers, dismissed tens of students and took over 63 schools where and used them to fight the government troops.
According to the AP, a health ministry official in Saada said so far 12 people have been died in the fighting, and 51 wounded. In addition, many residents have fled the bombing and clashes which took place in various locations of Saada province.
Rebel Shiite figures claim they are confronting the government forces in order to get rid of their presence in the province. Shiite spokesman Mohammed Abdel-Salam conveyed the bombing, which started late Tuesday, intensified early Wednesday in Haydan, in southwestern Saada. According to him, some missiles fell in residential areas, killing civilians, and destroying homes.