France ready to arm Syrian rebels
Speaking at a new conference in Mali, Hollande stated that providing weapons to rebels would be done "in a framework that can be controlled because we cannot accept that weapons could fall into the hands of jihadists that we have fought against here."
The French government's main focus thus far has been providing training to rebels in Jordan, sharing intelligence, and assisting the Free Syrian Army in structuring its leadership. Only non-lethal aid has been provided to rebels from the French.
- France ready to support the Syrian rebels with weapons to 'tip the balance'
- France warily joins airstikes in Iraq, while U.S. pushes to arm Syrian rebels
- Britain considers breaking EU embargo to arm Syrian rebels
- Syrian rebels set to "lay down arms" if no aid received in week
- France, Jordan call on Syrian rebels to organise