"Human Rights and AIDS"
The Fight against AIDS Association (ALCS - Association de Lutte Contre le Sida) held its sixth national conference on AIDS, from May 28 to 29. The event was held under the title "Human Rights and AIDS". <i>Le Matin</i> reports that apart from ALCS, it seems that no other official institution in Morocco has been exerting efforts to fight AIDS in a consistent and a serious manner.
According to the newspaper, since 1986 - the date when the first case of AIDS was identified in Morocco - the number of declared cases has considerably risen. The current number stands on at least 1,587 cases, according to the latest survey made on December 30, 2004 and it is estimated that there are currently 2,000 to 2,500 new infections a year.
- Bush to Mubarak: No extra aid due to prosecution of human rights campaigner
- US halts aid to Egypt in protest to human rights policies
- 809 Aids Cases Officially Reported in Morocco Since 1986
- Report: Oil Companies Involved in Sudan’s Human Rights Abuses
- UN Commissioner Calls for Respect for Human Rights in Middle East