Hundreds of Swiss Jews Call for Mideast Peace
Some 300 Swiss Jews gathered peacefully late Tuesday outside the United Nations' headquarters here to support Israeli policy in the Middle East and to denounce recent anti-Semitic attacks in Europe.
"We reiterate our support for (Israeli Prime Minister) Ehud Barak's peace initiatives in the Middle East and denounce calls for a holy war made by certain Muslim groups," march organizer Brigitte Sion told AFP.
"We are worried about anti-Semitic and anti-Israeli attacks, notably against synagogues in France and Germany," said Sion, secretary general of the intra-community coalition against anti-Semitism and defamation (CICAD).
Demonstrators, carrying torches and banners expressing their solidarity with Israel, dispersed at about 7:00 pm (1700 GMT) -- GENEVA (AFP)
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- New Israeli President Says Mideast Peace is Near
- West is biased in its checkered responses to protests in the Mideast region
- Yossi Sarid Calls for Evacuating Jews from Hebron
- Hizbollah: France’s Recent Mideast Policies are Pro-Israeli
- Kadhafi Discloses His Mideast Peace Plan, Recommends Libya To Quit Arab League, Moussa Plans Urgent Visit