Igor Lah’s Ceeref wins the City of Gmunden Trophy
The ten RC 44’s involved in the Austria Cup competed this afternoon for the “City of Gmunden Trophy”, a long distance windward – leeward course across Lake Traunsee that doesn’t count for the Championship Tour. The sky was cloudy and the wind fairly light yet regular, allowing for a good regatta.
Igor Lah’s Ceeref, with Rod Davis calling the shots, took a good start and immediately headed for the favoured right side of the course, closely followed by BMW ORACLE Racing and No Way Back. Opting for the pin, Torbjorn Tornqvist’s Artemis headed on its own to the left of the course – a choice that proved to be the wrong one.
Beating up alongside the eastern bank of the lake, Ceeref held on to its lead and made it first to the windward mark, closely followed by Pieter Heerema’s No Way Back and Larry Ellison’s BMW ORACLE Racing.
Today’s course didn’t offer many passing opportunities, and the distance between the boats kept increasing throughout the regatta. Ceeref crossed the arrival line first, ahead of No Way Back and BMW ORACLE Racing.
Team Austria sailed a good race and finished fourth, just ahead of Team Aqua - who had been recalled at the start and made a great come back.
The fleet race part of the RC 44 Austria Cup begins tomorrow and will last until Tuesday.
- Team Aqua is back on top in the Al Maktoum Sailing Trophy RC 44
- Artemis masters the wind of the desert and closes in on Team Aqua
- BMW ORACLE Racing wins the fleet race and conquers the RC 44 Austria Cup
- Team Aqua, Team Austria and BMW ORACLE Racing on great form
- Russell Coutts and Larry Ellison take the lead on day one of the RC 44 Austria Cup