Int'l Court of Justice Authorizes Iran to Submit New Documents in Case against US
Iran has been authorized to submit additional documents in connection with its case against the United States over the destruction of Iranian oil platforms, the International Court of Justice (ICJ) announced Friday, according to a report on the United Nations website.
ICJ Vice President Judge Shi Jiuyong authorized Tehran to submit a new written pleading in the case, which was filed in 1992.
Iran alleges that in 1987 and 1988, warships from the US Navy destroyed three Iranian offshore oil production complexes in breach of a treaty between the two countries.
The Iran/US Treaty of Amity, Economic Relations and Consular Rights, signed in 1955, stipulates that "there shall be firm and enduring peace and sincere friendship between the United States of America and Iran."
Article 10 of the treaty provides for "freedom of commerce and navigation" between the two countries. Tehran contends that the US is obliged to pay reparations to Iran "for the violation of international legal obligations."
In documents filed with the court, Washington has responded that "in attacking vessels, laying mines in the Gulf and otherwise engaging in military actions in 1987-1988" Iran "breached its obligations to the United States" under Article 10 of the treaty. Washington has asked the ICJ to order Iran to pay reparations to the US.
Under the decision, Iran has until September 24 to file its additional pleading in the case, said the report.
Iran’s alleged involvement in Lebanon, meanwhile, has made the Islamic republic subject to lawsuits in the US. Families of people kidnapped by Lebanese Islamist groups, which are said to be supported by Tehran, have won two cases in the US so far.
The courts ruled that Iran should pay hundreds of millions in compensation to the victims' families and the victims themselves – Albawaba.com
© 2001 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)