Iran commemorates 25th anniversary of Khomeini Revolution as president calls for free elections
In his address on jubilation of the 25th anniversary of the victory of Islamic Revolution at Tehran Azadi square, Iran's President Mohammad Khatami said that elections symbolize democracy.
According to IRNA, he added that if the elections are held properly and once the people realize that the law and the ruling Islamic system provide for freedom to vote and to be elected, then officials have performed their duties and rendered their services to the Islamic Republic, the late Imam Khomeini and the Supreme Leader.
The Iranian leader added if too much pressure is exerted on the people, both the nation and the system would be oppressed and great losses would be incurred.
He reiterated that the nation is firmly determined to continue the way taken by the late Imam Khomeini. "According to our pledge to the Almighty and the people, we should accompany the public to this end," Khatami added.
© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Khatami: Defense of dictatorship threatens Iran
- Iran's Khatami: Talks with Guardians Council over candidate disqualifications reach ''dead end''
- Iran president-elect renews allegiance with late founder of Islamic Revolution
- Khatami Sends Warning to Hardliners on Iranian New Year
- Senior Iranian cleric rejects talks with USA