Iran elects president: Khamenei calls for massive participation in vote
Voting for the 10th presidential elections started in polling stations all over Iran at 08:00 hrs and will continue until 18:00 hrs local time (GMT+4:30 hrs). Four candidates, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, Mir-Hossein Mousavi, Mehdi Karroubi and Mohsen Rezaie, are running in the race for election as Iran's 10th president.
Based on the statistics, released jointly by Iran Statistics Center and the State Personal Status Organization, 46.2 million people are eligible for voting. According to the state Elections Headquarters, 45,713 ballot boxes are envisaged throughout the country of which 31,455 of the boxes will be stationary while 14,258 others will be mobile.
Concurrent with the presidential elections in Iran, there will be 304 boxes in 130 countries to enable voting by Iranians abroad.
Meanwhile, Iran's Spritual Leader Ayatollah Seyed Ali Khamenei said on Friday that the Iranian nation is participating in another major examination. Talking to reporters after casting his votes, he expressed satisfaction over the participation of four candidates in the presidential elections.
According to IRNA, Khamenei noted the need for massive turnouts in polling stations to thwart the enemies' conspiracies.
- Khamenei Urges Massive Voter Turnout for Presidential Elections
- Khamenei to presidential candidates: Don't please enemies
- Iran: Leader calls for extensive turnout to neutralize ”conspiracies of enemies”
- Khamenei urges Iranians to participate in vote
- Iran's Khatami calls for ”massive” participation in upcoming polls