Iran FM urges UN Security Council not to adopt new sanctions
Adoption of any possible third resolution against Iran over its nuclear program would be "an escape forward," Iranian Foreign Minister Manouchehr Mottaki said on Monday.
Speaking to reporters at a press conference, the minister said the fact that the Group 5+1 rushed to discuss Iran's nuclear issue and made a hasty decision about it indicated that they felt "some concerns about a breakthrough the next report by Director-General of International Atomic Energy Agency, Mohamed ElBaradei, will make." ElBaradei is scheduled to work out his report by February 22 and present it to Board of Governors on March 3.
"The next report of the IAEA's chief would probably raise a question in the mind of the world public opinion asking if Iran had no diversion from its peaceful nuclear activities and if the agency was the leading body to monitor nuclear activities of the member states, so on basis of what the United Nations Security Council has so far, issued two resolutions against Iran?" Mottaki said, according to IRNA.
He added: "Adoption of any possible third resolution against Iran would be a move to escape from being accountable to the world public opinion."
Mottaki urged members of the UN Security Council "to take two brave steps; one is to wait for the release of the next report by the IAEA director general and the other is to normalize the issue of Iran's peaceful nuclear activities by nullifying their previous two anti-Iran resolutions."
Mottaki hoped again that the council would not make any decision on Iran "before receiving ElBaradei's next report."
- FM: Iran ought to prevent nuclear issue from going to Security Council
- U.N. Security Council OKs new sanctions on Iran
- Iran warns against adoption of new UN security Council resolution
- Don’t just blame America: Breaking down Iran’s sanctions and what it means for the world economy
- U.N. Security Council OKs Iran sanctions