Iran slams comments by Iraq defense minister
Iran's Foreign Ministry spokesman Hamid-Reza Asefi on Friday termed as "baseless" and "unwise" the recent anti-Iran remarks by Iraq's defense minister, stressing that such words are meant to distort the image of Iraq's neighbors.
Asefi, as quoted by the ministry`s Press Office in a statement, has stressed that Iraq`s Defense Minister Hazem Shaalan is trying to pin the blame for Iraq`s internal problems on others and is also seeking to distort the image of Iraq`s neighbors through such repetitive remarks.
According to IRNA, he said Iraqi officials have previously said that Shaalan`s remarks depict no official position. "He surely is not in a position to talk on the behalf of the Arab world since such remarks would only distort the image of the Arab world," Asefi said in the statement.
Iraq`s Defense Minister Shaalan has recently alleged that Iran is interfering in Iraq`s internal affairs.
- Iran dismisses US allegations of Iraq interference
- Iran says Rumsfeld understands nothing regarding Iraq, Middle East
- Iraq's interim defense minister says Iran is ”number one enemy”
- Iran strongly opposed to any attack on Iraq
- Iran slams US remarks on parliament elections; says Tehran-Cairo relations ''moving smoothly''