Iran speaker says Tehran sacrificing for Hezbollah
"The Islamic Republic is sacrificing itself for Hezbollah,” Fars News Agency quoted Larijani as saying during a ceremony in Tehran.
“Certainly, if Hezbollah is attacked, Iran will be its backbone because Hezbollah is the pride of the Islamic world and it broke Israel's back,” he added.
Larijani also hit back at the U.S. after Washington criticized Iran’s Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif for placing a wreath on the grave of slain Hezbollah commander Imad Mughniyeh during a recent visit to Lebanon.
“They said Zarif shouldn't have visited the graveyard of a commander in a terrorist organization, but on the other hand we saw American officials at the funeral of [former Israeli Prime Minister Ariel] Sharon, the butcher of Sabra and Shatila [Palestinian refugee camps in Beirut],” he said.
He also said that the entire Muslim world respected Mughniyeh and saw him as a symbol of courage.
“If Western officials badmouth Hezbollah and the resistance, they will surely be met with slaps,” Larijani said.
- Iranian parliament speaker says U.S. trying to obstruct relations between Tehran and Europe
- Iranian speaker: Israel - symbol of American hostility towards Muslims
- Iran’s Speaker Says US Interference Causing Tensions in Region
- Majlis Speaker justifies take over of US embassy in Tehran in 1979
- Lebanon calls on Gulf states to end Iran-Saudi rift