Iran praises Syria, looks to future of Tehran
President Hassan Rouhani took a moment to praise Syria for its cooperation in moving towards the chemical weapons initiative plan suggested by Russia in which Syria would turn its chemical weapons over to international control.
"We would like to support all these efforts ... the Russian initiative and Syria's decision to join the convention focused on chemical weapons," Rouhani said at a Chinese and Russian led summit of a regional security group.
This follows an expressed desire by President Rouhani to continue enriching urnaium for Tehran's peaceful nuclear program. It is expected that discussion will take place among many global leaders at the upcoming UN Assembly meeting regarding Iran's plans.
- US, Russia agree on how to destroy Syria's chemical weapons
- Russia "satisfied" with Syria's chemical weapons destruction
- Russia provides US with skeleton plan for Syria chemical handover
- Rouhani: Iran not looking to acquire nuclear weapons
- Assad: Syria will surrender chemical agents if US strike threats end