Iranian dissident professor may still face death sentence
Iranian dissident Hashem Aghajari, whose death sentence for blasphemy was lifted last week, will be retried by the same court which ordered his execution and could face the same penalty, a judiciary spokesman said Monday.
"It's possible that the new verdict will be the same as the original one," said spokesman Gholamhossein Elham.
He told IRNA news agency that, "It's the court of first instance (in Hamedan) ... which must correct procedural failings and issue a new judgement." (Albawaba.com)
© 2003 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Judiciary: Death sentence on Iranian dissident ''not final''
- Iran supreme court lifts death sentence against professor
- Death Sentence lifted on Iranian Professor
- Two Iranian parliament members resign in protest of professor’s death sentence
- lawyer for Iranian professor sentenced to death appeals verdict