Iranian Official Calls for AIDS Education in Schools
A senior Iranian official has called for the inclusion of AIDS education in school textbooks, reported Iran News Agency (IRNA).
Gholamreza Sahraian, a reformist ally of President Mohammad Khatami and governor of Fars province in southern Iran, also said that teachers should be educated on the consequences of the spread of AIDS, IRNA said.
"We must not worry about AIDS education inciting public opinion," Sahraian said.
According to Reuters, health officials say that more than 1,800 out of some 7.5 million Iranians who have had blood tests have AIDS, while unofficial figures show that more than 63,000 Iranians are HIV-positive - (Several Sources)
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- 60,000 Iranians afflicted with AIDS/HIV
- Aided by Gulf states: Lebanon’s government gains significant presence in schools, including in south
- 86 HIV-positives Reported in Iranian Province
- Dubai Cares calls for accelerated cohesive efforts to achieve universal primary education
- Iran Girls to Get Mandatory Paramilitary Training in Schools