Saudi Arabia to donate $500 million to Iraqi people
Saudi Arabia pledged $500 million in humanitarian aid for the Iraqi people, AFP reports. The money will be dispersed through the U.N. to those in need.
“King Abdullah has ordered $500 million in humanitarian aid to the brotherly people of Iraq affected by the painful events, including the displaced, regardless of their religion, sect, or ethnicity,” a Saudi spokesman said Tuesday.
The U.N. estimates that 1.2 million people have fled the violence in Iraq. The Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant have been capturing Iraqi cities and terrorizing citizens since June.
- Saudi Arabia, Pakistan to dispatch forces to Iraq only upon request from Iraqi people
- At least 10 Iraqi pilgrims killed in terrorist attacks
- Nour al-Malki accuses Saudi of “interference” in Iraq and Syria
- Saudi Arabia Gives More Than $100 Million to Pakistani Flood Victims
- Iraqi security and militants clash in seized university