Iraq death toll in May: 799
The United Nations says the death toll in Iraq during the month of May is a staggering 799 people, the Associated Press reports. It is the highest monthly death toll so far this year.
Of the 799 killed, 603 were civilians while 196 were security forces. Roughly 1,400 Iraqis have been injured in the violence that continues to plague the country, according to AP.
The worst hit city is Baghdad, the capital of Iraq, with 315 people killed. The figures exclude deaths in the restive Anbar province, an area where militants are battling the military for control. Fighting in Anbar has killed and displaced thousands of Iraqis.
- Iraq: US death toll in May posts big decline
- Al Qaeda militants take control of Iraq's Fallujah, country death toll recorded at highest level in 5 years
- Iraq: Death toll in Irbil twin suicide bombing attacks may rise to over 100
- Iraq death toll drops sharply in May 2009
- U.S. fire kills three children as American death toll during May hit 123