Iraq: Eight die in Basra as US wants talks with Iran
A blast destroyed a house in Iraq's southern city of Basra overnight and Iraqi police said on Monday eight people had died. According to Reuters, the house had been completely destroyed.
Neighbours said they believed the blast was caused by a U.S. air strike, but British forces, responsible for U.S. and British military activity in the area, denied any role and said they had no explanation for the blast.
Meanwhile, Iran has received an official note from the US officials to hold the fourth round of talks on Iraq, Foreign Ministry spokesman, Mohammad-Ali Hosseini, said on Monday. "We are studying the US officials repeated request which was sent to us as an official note to hold new round of talks on Iraq," Hosseini conveyed, according to IRNA.
The fourth round of talks between Iranian and US officials on Iraq's security situation was expected to be held on March 6, but was cancelled in the last minute. An Iranian delegation arrived in Baghdad on March 5 for the talks but the US side announced it was not well-prepared.