Helicopter attack leaves more dead in Iraq
AFP sources reported Wednesday that militants shot down an Iraqi military helicopter north of Baghdad, killing four security force personnel and leaving at least 14 people dead in related violence.
Violence was also reported on Wednesday in Kirkuk, Nineveh, and Diyala. The Iraqi government approved a temporary hazard pay for security forces stationed in seven severe conflict areas in response to rising clashes throughout the country. Almost 1,000 people were killed in Iraq in September alone, according to UN sources.
- Iraq violence leaves more than 100 dead in July
- Sister of Iraq VP shot dead; Two Italian troops, Romanian die as more bodies found
- Iraq: Car bombing attacks, clashes leave scores dead; Al Qaeda says senior Saudi fighter killed
- US copter shot down as more deadly clashes reported in Kirkuk
- Militants shoot down Iraqi army helicopter, killing four