Iraq: One US soldier dies as 16 Iraqis killed in US raids
A U.S. soldier was killed and another injured Friday when their patrol was attacked with a homemade bomb, the U.S. command said in a statement. The attack occurred at about 11:45 a.m. near the town of Tuz, some 170 kms north of Baghdad, the statement said. The injured soldier was evacuated to a military hospital.
Earlier, 13 people were killed in a US air raid on the Iraqi city of Fallujah west of Baghdad, a hospital official said.
The US Army said in a statement that before dawn on Friday it had hit a "safe house" of Abu Musab al-Zarqawi during a meeting of senior followers.
"Multi-National Force-Iraq struck an Abu Musab al-Zarqawi safe house in northwest Fallujah on the morning of October 8. Credible intelligence sources confirmed Zarqawi leaders were meeting at the safe house at the time of the strike," the statement said, according to AFP.
"The precision strike occurred at 1:15 am Central Baghdad Time."
The statement continued: "This strike contributed to reducing the capability of the Zarqawi network and increasing safety and security throughout Iraq."
Meanwhile, a U.S. warplane struck three people as they planted an artillery shell on a street in Baghdad's northeastern Shiite district of Sadr City on Friday, a US military spokesman said.
© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Iraq: US soldier dies, as at least 12 killed in fresh US attacks on Fallujah, Samarra
- Six Iraqis, one US soldier killed in separate incidents
- Iraq: US claims to kill al-Zarqawi aide in Fallujah
- 20 Iraqis, including three childrean, killed in US attack on Fallujah
- Iraq: Three US troops die, clashes reported on Syria border as Zarqawi expands network