Iraq: Seven, including US soldier, killed in attacks
Four children collecting trash were killed Friday by a homemade bomb in Baghdad, and masked gunmen shot dead an Iraqi Army officer in a restaurant in the southern city of Basra, police said.
The children were killed in the New Baghdad neighborhood in the southeast section of the city, police Capt. Sabah Hamid Al-Fartosi said, according to The AP.
In the attack in Basra, three masked gunmen killed an Iraqi Army officer - Maj. Mahmoud Hassan Al-Yassiri - late Thursday, Capt. Firas al-Timimi of the Iraqi Army said.
A U.S. Marine was killed Wednesday in a vehicle accident during combat operations in Fallujah, west of Baghdad, the US military confirmed Friday in a statement.
Also Friday, police in Kirkuk said one driver was killed in an attack that set several Turkish oil tankers ablaze the previous night. Six others were injured.
- 30 killed in Iraq attacks
- At least eight Iraqis, American soldier dead; US Army claims killing of senior al Qaeda figures
- Three US soldiers, 11 Iraqis killed in attacks
- Six Iraqis, including four policemen, killed in additional attacks, clashes
- Fighting in Ramadi as US soldier, three Iraqis killed around Baghdad