Iraq: Seven US troops dead
Four Marines drowned when their tank rolled off a bridge and plunged into a canal, the US military said Friday. The deaths brought to at least 12 the number of U.S. service members who have died in Iraq this week, according to the Associated Press.
The accident occurred Thursday when the four Marines with Regimental Combat Team 5 were traveling in a U.S. M1A1 Main Battle Tank near Karmah, 50 miles west of Baghdad in Anbar province. The accident was under investigation, the military said.
Elsewhere, three U.S. Army soldiers were killed Thursday when roadside bombs hit two U.S. convoys southwest of Baghdad, the military said. The U.S. command also announced that an American soldier died Tuesday from wounds not suffered in combat.
- Seven killed in Karbala as five occupation troops dead in Iraq
- Iraq: Seven US troops, 15 civilians killed in blasts, clashes
- Seven Iraqis dead as Bush says early Australian troop pullout would be ''disastrous''
- US Team Arrives in Kuwait to Investigate Deadly Accident
- Iraq: At least seven dead as US forces clash with Shiite gunmen