Iraq suicide bomber kills 9 including 7 policemen in Tikrit
A suicide bomb attack in Kirkuk, Iraq on March 29 (AFP Photo)
Click here to add al-Qaeda as an alert
Disable alert for al-Qaeda,
Click here to add Baghdad as an alert
Disable alert for Baghdad,
Click here to add Reuters as an alert
Disable alert for Reuters,
Click here to add Saddam Hussein as an alert
Disable alert for Saddam Hussein,
Click here to add Tikrit as an alert
Disable alert for Tikrit
At least 9 people have been killed after a suicide bomber drove a fuel truck laden with explosives into a government compound in Tikrit, Iraq.
The attacker blew up the oil tanker at a building housing government administration offices, according to Reuters news agency.
The bomb exploded at 8:40 local time (5:40 GMT) in the home town of former dictator Saddam Hussein, killing and injuring mostly policemen according to the sources.
No groupd has yet claimed responsibility for the attack but some Al Qaeda affiliated groups have carried out similar attacks in recent months in an attempt to destabilise the Shia-dominated government.
Tikrit is located around 160km north of Baghdad and has often been the target of insurgent attacks.
- This cat is da bomb! Terrorists attempt to use cat as suicide bomber
- Iraq: Some 300 killed and wounded in bombing attack
- Suicide bomb in Iraq kills 7
- Civilian worker killed, two US troops wounded in convoy attack in Tikrit; Bremer vows to find those behind UN HQ attack
- Suicide bomber kills two policemen in Iraq