Iraq: Three US soldiers killed in ambush near Tikrit
An ambush on the outskirts of ousted Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein's ancestral hometown of Tikrit killed three U.S. soldiers and injured two late Thursday night, according to a U.S. military spokesman.
Lieutenant-Colonel William McDonald said the three soldiers from the 4th Infantry Division were killed by a small arms fire in the Al-Ouja village, located south of Tikrit, when they were on patrol, inspecting a suspected weapons site.
The two wounded were evacuated to a medical treatment facility. (Albawaba.com)
© 2003 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- U.S. soldier killed in ambush in Fallujah as ''Saddam'' calls on tribal leaders to launch ''Jihad'' against invaders
- US soldier killed near Tikrit
- Two US troops killed near Tikrit as Muslim nations rebuff US calls to send troops to Iraq
- Bombs kill two US soldiers, two children as three bodyguards of Kurdish security official killed in ambush
- Blasts kill six American troops, two Iraqi civilians as three Iraqi fighters shot dead near Tikrit