Iraq: Video confirms death of three captured US troops
Gunmen linked to al-Qaeda issued a video Monday claiming they killed all three American troops captured in an ambush last month. "They were alive and then dead," a voice said. Despite tge nearly 11-minute video by the Islamic State of Iraq the U.S. military insisted the massive manhunt south of Baghdad will go on.
The video, posted on an Islamist Web site, included grainy black-and-white footage said to have been taken during the May 12 pre-dawn ambush. It also showed credit cards, money and other personal items the gunmen called "booty." A headline said: "Bush is the reason of the loss of your POWs."
The video also showed footage of three masked and black-clad men in a forest, apparently mapping out the attack plan. "I have urged you to bring me American prisoners," said one of the men.
"The Americans sent 4,000 soldiers looking for them," an unidentified voice said on the video. "They were alive and then dead."
The voiceover blamed their deaths on "the American Army and their leaders, who do not care for the feelings of the soldiers' mothers."
"And as you refused to deliver the bodies of our killed people, we will not deliver the bodies of your dead, and their end will be beneath the ground, Allah willing," the voice said.
Meanwhile, Iraqi authorities reported at least 15 people killed Monday in eight bombings, shootings and other incidents. In addition, at least 47 bodies were discovered nationwide.
- At least three American troops killed in Iraq as US general predicts Saddam capture
- Iraq: Video shows body of US pilot dragged
- Iraq: Three US troops die as six Sunnis shot dead for talking with Shiites
- Obama confirms next month withdrawal of US combat forces from Iraq
- Four American troops charged with Iraqi general death as police find three headless bodies in Mosul