Iraqi interior minister apologizes for ”bedouin camel” slur
Iraqi Minister of Interior Bayan Jabor apologized on Sunday for comments he had made towards Saudi Arabia last week, including referring to Saudi Foreign Minister Prince Saud Al Faisal as a “bedouin riding camel."
He added that he hoped ties between Iraq and Saudi Arabia would remain strong. “I hope these statements and what has been said and written will be a passing summer cloud ... My statements have nothing to do with the Iraqi government,” Jabor told reporters.
He added, “I respect very much, the wise and balanced Saudi policy," according to Reuters.
Jabor, himself a Shiite, had made the comments following expressions of concern on Saudi Arabia's part regarding the intentions of Iraq's Shiite community. He also criticized Saudi Arabia for unjust treatment of its Shiite community and women.
- Saudi - Iranian crisis over Iraq
- Saudi Arabia ready to attend regional peace conference, explore ties with Iraq
- Saudi Arabia, Pakistan to dispatch forces to Iraq only upon request from Iraqi people
- Saudi Minister Denies Presence of Saudi POWs in Iraq
- Saudi Arabia to prevent Iraqi refugees from entering kingdom