Iraqi minister: Would-be bomber holds Syrian passport
The would-be bomber thwarted in Monday's suicide bombing wave in Baghdad was a Yemeni holding a Syrian passport, Iraqi interim Health Minister Khodair Abbas said on Wednesday.
"According to the initial investigation results, the detained bomber is a Yemeni holding a Syrian passport," Abbas said.
"The suspect did not want to give any information on the other two passengers in his car who managed to escape, nor the identity of the other bombers in the attacks," he said.
"There is a real possibility the bombers were fundamentalist, Wahhabists," he said.
A U.S. military spokesperson said the man was caught Monday when he attempted to drive an explosives-packed car towards a police station in Baghdad's Al-Jadida area.
He fled on foot when his car came under fire and then fell down and shouted "wait, I am Syrian," the spokesman said. A Syrian passport was later found on him, the spokesman said. (Albawaba.com)
© 2003 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Jordan threatens to hang all Daesh prisoners if pilot is killed
- Yemen detains would be suicide bomber
- WTF?!! Australian ISIS fighter tweets photo of his young son holding the severed head of a Syrian soldier
- At least 36 killed in separate Iraq blasts; Report: US, UK to reduce number of troops by mid-2006
- Daesh confirms Japanese hostage beheading following release of video