Iraqi Parliament Speaker Off to UN Meeting in New York
The speaker of Iraq's parliament, Saadun Hammadi, left for New York Sunday to attend an international parliamentary meeting at UN headquarters, the official INA news agency reported.
Hammadi will also attend an extraordinary meeting of the Arab Parliamentary Union (APU) taking place on the sidelines of the session, on August 30th and 31st.
The APU meeting will focus on the "latest developments over Jerusalem" after the failure of the Israel-Palestinian summit at Camp David in July.
The Iraqi press has also reported that Deputy Prime Minister Tareq Aziz will also go to New York shortly to represent his country at the special three-day UN millennium summit due to start on September 6th - BAGHDAD (AFP(
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Syrian People’s Assembly Speaker to attend APU Council meeting in Baghdad
- Iraqi National Assembly speaker sends letter to International Parliamentary Union Head
- Iraqi Parliamentary Speaker on First Visit to EU Country since Embargo
- Yemen’s parliament speaker visits Syria
- Relative: Former Iraqi parliament speaker detained by US troops