Iraqi sources: Al Zarqawi arrested
Iraqi sources have told a Saudi newspaper that al-Qaeda's man in Iraq, Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, has been arrested. Al Watan daily said Sunday that the official announcement on the arrest was delayed until a new Iraqi government is in place. The purported arrest supposedly took place on the Iraqi - Syrian border, the report added.
It should be mentioned that CNN aired on Saturday new pictures believed to show al-Zarqawi, who is America's most-wanted man in Iraq.
The Saudi paper said that the arrest of al-Zarqawi was completed ahead the recent visit of US Defence Secretary Donald Rumsfeld in Iraq. This visit took place early February.
- Report: US, Iraqi forces closing on al Zarqawi
- Zarqawi aide arrested as at least three Iraqis die in attacks
- Kuwaiti newspaper: Zarqawi captured on Syrian - Iraq border
- Jordan confirms arrest of close aide to al-Zarqawi
- Four Iraqis killed, 10 wounded in US attack on Fallujah as reward on al Zarqawi raised to $25 million