Iraq's Interim FM: Foreign forces needed, attacks - ''not resistance''
Iraq's Interim Foreign Minister Hoshyar Zebari said Thursday Iraqis want to recover their sovereignty "as soon as possible", but noted that foreign forces in his country were vital to maintain unity.
"The people of Iraq want to recover their sovereignty and their dignity as soon as possible," Zebari told reporters after meeting Arab League Chief Amr Mussa in Cairo.
Asked if Iraqis accept the US-led occupation of their country he replied: "The Iraqi people do not accept occupation ... but the situation in Iraq is complicated. "The current circumstances show that there is a need for (foreign) forces so that Iraq can remain united and to stop foreigners from meddling in the country's internal affairs," he added.
Asked about attacks again occupation troops, Zebari said: "This is not a resistance movement trying to liberate the country: These are attacks." (Albawaba.com)
© 2003 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- US thanks South Korea for sending more troops as Iraq interim FM stresses unity
- Freight train attacked west of Baghdad; Aide: Iraq interim FM survives assassination attempt
- Iraq FM expects more powerful attacks
- Iraqi FM: Israel participates in U.S.-led attack on Iraq
- Death toll of Baghdad bombings stands at 42, Pentagon fears of further resistance attacks