Iraq's top Shiite cleric suffers health problem, to be treated in London
Iraq's top Shiite cleric, Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani, passed through Beirut on his way to London Friday to receive treatment for a heart condition.
Two Beirut airport security officials said Sistani arrived on a chartered jet from Iraq and departed on a scheduled Middle East Airlines flight for London.
"The ayatollah suffered a health crisis related to his heart a few days ago," Sistani's spokesman in Beirut, Sheikh Hamed Khafaf, told The Associated Press on Thursday. "A team of specialist doctors are treating him and providing care." (albawaba.com)
© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Powell: New Iraq government can't veto US military decisions; Top Shiite cleric backs new leaders
- Despite UN Programs, Iraqis still Suffer under Embargo
- UK against dictating Iraq government composition as report says US to agree on elections before power transfer
- Official: There is no public health crisis in Iraq
- UN: Only one fifth of Syrian aid has been delivered