Islamic Group Claims Israeli Guard Killing in Jerusalem
An unknown Islamic group, the Martyrs of the al-Aqsa Uprising, claimed in a statement in Beirut Monday responsibility for an attack in east Jerusalem that left one Israeli security guard killed, reported AFP.
"One of our groups ... opened fire at the heart of Jerusalem on a group of occupation soldiers this afternoon that killed one Israeli and wounded others," it said in a statement faxed to AFP in Beirut.
"Our heroes succeeded in withdrawing from the scene quickly and safely," it said.
The underground group pledged to "continue our jihad (holy war) struggle operation on all fronts and at all levels until the defeat of the Israeli occupation and its settlers from our occupied land,” said the group.
The Israeli radio reported that police were interrogating eyewitnesses in the area. It said the two guards were shot in the back and didn't have the chance to react with their pistols.
Witnesses told AFP a youth, probably a Palestinian, shot the two men in the back of the head with a pistol at close range at the entrance of the building housing the state-run Israeli National Insurance Office in east Jerusalem – (Several Sources)
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Israeli Security Guard Dies after East Jerusalem Shooting
- Jerusalem: Palestinian shot dead after grabbing pistol from Israeli guard
- \'Intifada Martyrs\' Group Claims Attack on Kahane
- Hamas Claims Responsibility for Tuesday’s Suicide Bombing in Occupied Jerusalem
- More Conflict Reported in Palestinian, Israeli Territory as Peres Meets with Foreign Envoys