Islamic Jihad claims bombing attack inside Israel; Five dead
At least five people were killed and 21 others were wounded by a suicide bombing attack on Wednesday afternoon in the Israeli city of Hadera.
According to Israeli authorities, the blast took place in the city's open market, located some 50 kilometers north of Tel Aviv. Five of those wounded were in serious condition. Israeli sources said that the attack was carried out near a popular falafel stand..
Islamic Jihad claimed responsibility soon after the attack. Spokesmen for the group stated that the bombing was in revenge for the killing of its military leader in the West Bank, Luay Sa'adi, several days ago by the Israeli military. The bomber was identified as Hassan Abu Zeid, 20 from the West Bank town of Qabatiyeh, which is located near the city of Jenin.
The PA has denounced the bombing.
Wednesday's bombing was the first inside Israel since August 28, when a Palestinian bomber blew himself up in the southern city of Beer Sheva, wounding 20 people.
- Palestinian boy shot dead, Islamic Jihad claims Wednesday bombing attack; Israel razes houses near Jerusalem, Ramallah
- Palestinian shot dead in Gaza Strip as Islamic Jihad claims bombing attack against Israeli troops
- Islamic Jihad Claims Israel Bomb Blast
- Islamic Jihad Claims Jerusalem Suicide Attacks
- At least 17 Dead, 90 Injured in Tel Aviv Suicide Bombing, Islamic Jihad Claims Responsibility