Islamic Jihad Claims Responsibility for Jerusalem Blast
The military wing of the Islamic Jihad movement, Al Quds Brigades, has claimed responsibility for a car bomb explosion in west Jerusalem on Monday.
A powerful car bomb exploded in a main market in the Talpiot neighborhood in west Jerusalem on Monday, but caused no injuries.
The brigades said in a statement that the operation was in response to the “occupation’s crime and massacres against the Palestinians.”
At the time of the explosion, the car was in a parking lot near "Tzomet Habankim" on Bethlehem Street, reported the Tel Aviv-based Haaretz newspaper, adding that the blast set fire to some nearby vehicles.
Jerusalem District Police Commander Miki Levy said the blast was caused by a large bomb and that police were currently searching the area for any other explosive devices.
In response to the blast, Israeli Foreign Minister Shimon Peres said that "Hamas, Islamic Jihad and Hizbollah are the bin Laden of the Middle East and need to be fought without compromise," the paper said, citing Israel Radio – Albawaba.com
- Islamic Jihad Claims Israel Bomb Blast
- Sharon Calls Security Cabinet Meeting after Jerusalem Bomb Blasts
- Bomb Explodes in South Jerusalem, no Injuries
- Two Killed, at Least Ten Injured in Bomb Explosion in West Jerusalem
- Unknown Group Claims Responsibility for Jerusalem Bomb which Killed Israeli MK's Daughter