Israel to ”ignore” Hamas-led cabinet
Acting Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert said late Thursday that a Palestinian Authority led by Hamas is "not a partner" in peace. "If a government led by Hamas or in which Hamas is a coalition partner is established, the Palestinian Authority will be turned into an authority that supports terror. Israel and the world will ignore it and make it irrelevant," Olmert stated.
According to Haaretz, Olmert urged patience and suggested waiting for post-election developments on the Palestinian side. At the same time, he maintained the PA must fulfill its obligations and said Israel will continue its war against "terrorism."
Meanwhile, Israeli soldiers shot dead a 9-year-old Palestinian girl on Thursday in the Gaza Strip near the border with Israel, Palestinian medics said.
- Olmert insists Israel won't recognize Hamas-led cabinet
- Israel considers new steps against PA as new speaker vows to continue resistance
- Bush meets Olmert, calls for negotiations with Abbas
- Palestinian PM-designate unfazed by Israeli sanctions
- Israel will not oppose humanitarian aid to Palestinian people despite rift with Hamas