Israel launches attack on Syrian border overnight - reports
A western diplomat, speaking to the news agency, confirmed that the attack had happened although would not give any further information. "There was definitely a hit in the border area," the source said.
The Lebanese army had previously reported a number of Israeli jets over its territory during the same night.
The attack comes after Israel threatened to intervene in Syria, if chemical weapons were used. The move by the Israeli army last night increased speculation that chemical weapons have fallen into the hands of rebels in Syria.
The Israeli military declined to comment on the report.
- Overnight fighting erupts across three of Syria's borders
- Growing fears in Lebanon over potential Ramadan terrorist attacks
- Lebanese army launches overnight attack against jihadists at border
- Israel returns fire after vehicle hit in the Golan: no casualties reported
- Rockets fired from Syria and Lebanon land in Israel