Israel continues attacks after rejecting truce offer
Israel launched additional air strikes against Palestinian targets across the Gaza Strip on Sunday after rejecting a proposed ceasefire by PA Prime Minister Ismail Haniyeh.
Israel is threatening to expand its attacks unless armed groups fre Corporal Gilad Shalit, an Israeli soldier captured in a cross-border raid on June 25, and halt rocket fire on Israeli towns. "The operation will go on until someone on the other side sobers up," Israel's Justice Minister Haim Ramon told Israel Radio.
At least three Palestinians were wounded in an early morning air strike near the "Karni" commercial crossing between Gaza Strip and Israel, Palestinian medics and police said, according to Reuters. Israel also destroyed an important bridge in northern Gaza Strip, despite an appeal from the United Nations to stop targeting the Strip's infrastructure.
But despite the Israeli attacks, rocket continued to land in Israel. In the latest attacks, a rocket landed in a street in the Israeli town of Sderot, wounding one person, the army said.
Earlier in southern Gaza Strip, Israel bombed a training camp.
Israel killed seven Palestinians, including a 6-year-old girl and a policeman, on Saturday, Palestinian witnesses said. Nearly 50 Palestinians and one Israeli soldier have been killed in the offensive launched on June 28.