Israel resumes strikes on Gaza after ceasefire
More than 190 Palestinians have been killed from the strikes in one week (AFP)
Click here to add Benjamin Netanyahu as an alert
Disable alert for Benjamin Netanyahu,
Click here to add Frank-Walter Steinmeier as an alert
Disable alert for Frank-Walter Steinmeier,
Click here to add Gaza as an alert
Disable alert for Gaza,
Click here to add Hamas as an alert
Disable alert for Hamas,
Click here to add IDF as an alert
Disable alert for IDF,
Click here to add Islamic Jihad as an alert
Disable alert for Islamic Jihad,
Click here to add John Kerry as an alert
Disable alert for John Kerry,
Click here to add Tel Aviv as an alert
Disable alert for Tel Aviv,
Click here to add Vienna as an alert
Disable alert for Vienna
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Defense Minister Moshe Ya'alon ordered a restart of the attacks on the Gaza Strip Tuesday afternoon after Israel's acceptance of an Egyptian-brokered ceasefire was met with a morning and afternoon of Hamas rockets fired at Israel.
Diplomatic officials said that the IDF actions, which came at 3:00 pm, six hours after Israel held its fire and responded positively to the Egyptian cease-fire proposal, were the result of Hamas and Islamic Jihad rejecting the ceasefire.
IAF aircraft began striking targets on Tuesday afternoon following the decision. The IDF stated that it would strike all "elements that are behind terrorist attacks on Israel."
Netanyahu had earlier warned that Israel would widen its offensive in Gaza if the rocket attacks continued.
Netanyahu, speaking at the beginning of a meeting in Tel Aviv with German Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier, said that Israel “agreed to the Egyptian proposal in order to give an opportunity for the demilitarization of the Strip - from missiles, from rockets and from tunnels - through diplomatic means."
The prime minister said that the purpose of Operation Protective Edge was and remains to return quiet to Israel's citizens while delivering a severe blow to Hamas and other terrorist organizations. He said that Israel succeeded in hitting the terrorist organizations in Gaza very hard, and prevented their efforts to attack Israeli citizens.
US Secretary of State John Kerry blamed Hamas for powering through the ceasefire.
"I cannot condemn strongly enough the actions of Hamas in so brazenly firing rockets in multiple numbers in the face of a goodwill effort to offer a ceasefire, in which Egypt and Israel worked together, that the international community strongly supports," Kerry told reporters in Vienna on Tuesday morning.