Israel announces seven-hour ceasefire
Over 1,000 Palestinians have died in the Gaza offensive. (AFP/File)
Click here to add Gaza as an alert
Disable alert for Gaza,
Click here to add Hadar Goldin as an alert
Disable alert for Hadar Goldin,
Click here to add Israeli Defence Force as an alert
Disable alert for Israeli Defence Force,
Click here to add Kfar Saba as an alert
Disable alert for Kfar Saba,
Click here to add military as an alert
Disable alert for military,
Click here to add Peter Lerner as an alert
Disable alert for Peter Lerner,
Click here to add Rafah as an alert
Disable alert for Rafah,
Click here to add United Nations as an alert
Disable alert for United Nations
However the ceasefire will not apply to the town of Rafah where Israeli forces are said to be still operating.
According to the Israeli Defence Force (IDF) 55 rockets were fired from Gaza at Israeli territory on Sunday.
Military spokesman Lieutenant-Colonel Peter Lerner said the incident was being looked into:
“We do not target UN facilities. Indeed in the early hours of this morning, the IDF targeted a group of terrorists on a motorcycle – at least two people, that were adjacent to the school, at high speed. We struck them and we are currently looking into the consequences of this strike.”
Meanwhile the funeral of another Israeli soldier has taken place. Twenty-three-year-old Hadar Goldin was buried in his hometown of Kfar Saba.
It was feared that Goldin had been captured by Gaza militants on Friday in an ambush near Rafah but he was later confirmed dead.
Israel has said that 64 of its soldiers have died in combat while Palestinian rockets have also killed three civilians.